Thursday, March 26, 2009

Columbus Is Rich in Texas History

Columbus, Texas has a solid place in Texas history. From its roots in the original Stephen F. Austin colony, Columbus has had its share of historical people, events and places. This photo is the Columbus Waterworks. Built in 1883, the waterworks was a result of a large fire that destroyed some of the buildings on the square. The local community wanted more protection from future fires, so the waterworks was built and a fire department was organized. Photo courtesy of courthouselover.

2 comments:

  1. I really love the pictures from the Trail!!! I like the history of it. Oddly enough, I was in Lomita, not to far from Lampasses for the Rattlesnake roundup...enjoyed the experience.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules,
    I'm glad you're enjoying the photos and the history of our region! How was the Roundup? I enjoy reading your posts as well. Your comments are welcome anytime.

    ReplyDelete